Saturday, December 11, 2010

My Christmas Wishlist - TV Edition

I don't know how I got thinking about this, I'm guessing it was all the chatter about year end top ten lists.  So I've put together some items that I'd like to see Santa deliver this Christmas for this tv fanatic.

1) Bring all the superior American Cable networks to Canada in High Definition.

We've got HBO already and that's a step in the right direction.  AMC has recently arrived in Canada, but alas it's only standard definition.  When watching people cook meth, work in an office in the 60's or kill some zombies.  We really need to see that in High Definition.  FX also needs to come to Canada in some HD glory: Archer, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Justified, The League, Louie, Rescue Me and Sons of Anarchy need to watched by Canadians without coughing up money for Superstations or the DVD's.

Let me put it to you this way; here is Stephen Kings Top 10 Shows of 2010.

10. Morning Joe - MSNBC
9. Boardwalk Empire - HBO
8. SpongeBob SquarePants - Cartoon Network
7. Sons of Anarchy - FX
6. Dexter - Showtime
5. Damages - DirecTV
4. The Event - NBC
3. Breaking Bad - AMC
2. The Walking Dead – AMC
1. Friday Night Lights - DirecTV

See what I'm saying.  The big 4 are no longer ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX.  Showtime, HBO, AMC and FX Network are putting out far superior programming.  Just look at the nominees for all the Dramatic categories Awards season. 
While we're at it, bring us USA Network and TNT.

USA Network:
Burn Notice, White Collar, Covert Affairs, Psych, Royal Pains

TNT:
The Closer, Hawthorne, Leverage, Memphis Beat, Men of a Certain Age, Rizzoli & Isles, Southland.

Sure, they aren't at the same quality level as HBO, Showtime(which we need as well), AMC or FX but they still offer some great shows.

2) Cogeco, my cable provider to give me the option of a nice Topfield brand PVR. They're churning out a version that can record 4 shows and watch another live show all at the same time! 5 shows in one timeslot! A tv fan can dream! AWESOME! Plus it comes with a 1 TB Hard Drive. That's a whole lot of HD recording. Bring it Cogeco! BRING IT!

3) Life long subscriptions to Entertainment Weekly, The Hollywood Report and Variety. I've been a subsriber of EW for close to 15 years now and I've always loved the magazine. But a life long subscription would be wonderful. As for Hollywood Reporter and Variety, they offer a daily issue that has all sorts of details, news and industry insider information that is wonderful for a person like me. All that information comes at a price, 299 a year per magazine. Something a guy like me really can't justify, I'd enjoy it, but I can't justify it.

Numbers 4 and 5 are much smaller, but equally as difficult.

4) Move Community from 8:00 PM to 8:30 and put new show Perfect Couples in the 8:00 PM slot. You put a rookie there last year in Community and why not try it again this winter/spring. Then give Community a chance too breathe against Shit My Dad Says instead of getting killed by Big Bang Theory every Thursday.

5) Please, pretty please Santa, I've been really good this year. Please renew Detroit 1-8-7 for a second season. I really like this show and so do other people. Even if the ratings have slipped quite a bit down to 6.7 million people, it's still a really really good show and deserves a second season. If anyone can get the show renewed it's you Santa.

Thanks Santa, I'll leave some cookies and milk on the table :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter