Monday, September 26, 2011

Thoughts from the Media Room: Prime Suspect


Finally found a bit of time to catch the pilot for Prime Suspect on Sunday morning.

Premise:
About Jane Timoney, an iconoclastic female detective who has to make her bones in a tough New York precinct that is dominated by men.

First off, I've never watched the original British version of this and I'm really not sure if that helps or hinders my thoughts on it.

After the hour was up, I felt entertained and that's the big thing to me. I thought Bello was a great choice to play the detective being blocked out by the men in this boys club. She was tough at the station, she broke down at home and she did what was needed for her "family" at home when the time came. I was shocked to see the guys at the station acting like this, which then got me thinking. "Is it really still like this?", "What year are we living in that this still happens?" Even when Jane takes a massive beating and solves the major case the boys still aren't impressed with her. You could see the pain that some of the guys go through keeping up the united front against her. Some of them know she's a good cop but they still can't acknowledge it in fear of being cut out by the fellow men in the unit. What's it going to take for these guys to respect her? She puts on a tough front at the office, but she can't keep that up forever. It has to eat away at you.

We didn't see Jane and her boyfriend Matt interact a hell of a lot and from what I did see I wasn't a fan of. They're dating? He's supposed to be her rock to get her through this tough time? I just didn't feel a connection between the two of them.

The unit is made up of some realistic New York detectives and I felt like I was in a Homicide Office. The whole thing felt very real and maybe that's why it shook me a bit on the way they were acting and cutting her out/down. There is something about watching the inside of a New York detectives office that gets the viewer in me excited. They tried it last season in Detroit and the fans didn't like it for some reason. Yes, I'm still bitter, upset and angry that Detroit 187 didn't get picked up for a second season.

This will replace my cop show void for now, I say for now because for whatever reason the numbers really weren't there for Suspect this week and I don't see it getting any better. I've talked to a few people about suspect and it went from loved it to it just didn't grab me.

My only issue at this point with keeping up with this one is scheduling. Thursdays are jammed already and I don't have anything else on Thursdays at 10:00 other than this. But before that I'm already looking at: Big Bang Theory, Community, X-Factor, Vampire Diaries, Parks and Rec, Person of Interest and The Office.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter