Friday, September 30, 2011

Thoughts from the Media Room: Suburgatory


When I first watched the promo for this a few weeks back, I didn't think that this was something that I would enjoy. Then the night it aired, the reaction on Twitter seemed quite positive. So I thought it would be pretty good and looked forward to watching the pilot.  Twitter appears to have let me down here.



Premise:
The series follows a divorced father who decides to get away from New York City to the suburbs so he can give his 16-year-old daughter a better life. However, the move to suburbs has the daughter wondering if they just entered the world of The Stepford Wives after they see how 'perfect' their new locale is, right down to the neighbors who welcome them into the cul-de-sac. The series takes its title from the upcoming book by Linda Keenan.


These are no Suburbs I've ever been in before. Wow. I felt like I was watching a weird version of Clueless.

As I sit here, watching the cursor blink I can't even put what I just watched into words. Mrs. Media Room felt like we were watching a poor version of a Emma Stone movie. It was trying to be clever like other teenage comedy movies that star leading ladies. Clueless, Mean Girls and Easy A that came before it were critically acclaimed, clever and very well written. They were enjoyable by people of all ages because they spoke to everyone and anyone could relate.  Suburgatory was just awkward and the whole thing felt incredibly forced.

The relationship between father George and daughter Tessa felt genuine enough, I just couldn't stand the environment that they were living in for this show. Jane Levy as Tessa was actually quite good, she's angry and she's very witty and sarcastic. You could feel just how awkward high school was for her and just how out of place she was in this new world of plastic.

If these are the kind of shows that Cheryl Hines and Rex Lee are following their very successful turns in other shows, they are in some serious trouble.

It was a struggle to even get through the first episode, so I won't be able to get through a second and will be giving this a pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter