Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thoughts from the Media Room: Terra Nova



Premise:
Terra Nova centers on the Shannons, an ordinary family from 2149 when the planet is dying who are transported back 85 million years to prehistoric Earth where they join Terra Nova, a colony of humans with a second chance to build a civilization.


Welcome to serious plot-hole Nova. Dear ol' dad is locked up in the craziest maximum security prison I've ever seen. Mom hands him a device that can cut through "anything" and boom he escapes? How bout showing us some details of how that happened exactly? Then we're just supposed to believe that he waltzes back into what should be the hardest place on earth to get into. These are somewhat major events that we should have seen happen in my opinion. Mrs. Media Room tells me that it's more important that he actually gets to the "Stargate" then how he gets there. I say, Bah! The producers on the other hand just want to get us the viewer to Terra Nova and that I get. But come on. *cough Avatar cough* Speaking of walking through the Stargate, wouldn't there have been security EVERYWHERE with rifles of some kind, this can't be the first time we've had a runner. OK, enough about the details and let's keep going with this review. One last grip, so pops goes to Terra Nova illegally, they also sneak in an illegal daughter and then? Ya, exactly. No worries. Ok, moving on to something else now. Like, what kind of Internet connection do you think you'd get in Terra Nova? Kidding. Ok, seriously moving on now.

I really should throw in here, that I really like the idea of Terra Nova and I really want to like this. It's written for people like me. Be warned, it's not going to seem like that when you continue reading.

What is the dear ol' Commander up to? How bad of a guy is he that dad will catch him. Loved the line, there must be bad people here to catch.

The scene between dad and Zoe' where she "remembers" him was very heart warming and quite touching. Speaking of dad, his acting is actually very stiff. Of course if I was back in time 85 million years, I might be a bit stiff as well. Hopefully that improves over time.

Feeding dinosaurs like they were chipmunks at a park would be totally mind-blowingly awesome. Speaking of mind-blowing, it's crazy how far we've come in so little time. Do you remember when Jurassic Park came out, it was such a technological feat and how we heard about complex it was and how long it took to render. Now here we sit in our living rooms watching it happen on a weekly basis.

I've got no time for this teenage boy in love with his girlfriend from the future storyline. He's pissed because he had to leave his teenage love behind. Bla bla bla. Then of course he meets a girl in Terra Nova causing guilt and the whole angry at his father thing, way too predictable. It takes up time and serves no real point to the story.

The viewers thank the daughter for explaining to us how we got here. That's actually quite helpful and we really needed that because I had serious questions about that. She's like Hurley from Lost, this can get complicated and we sometimes need that help.

Why oh why would an assassin pull out the weapon on the other side of the market and then proceed to walk all the way across the market? Seriously? Maybe things in Terra Nova aren't as peachy as advertised. Hmmm.

Annnnd there is the cute boy for the girl who's nerdy to hook up with. *cough* predictable.

Space pirates! Or Sixers. Why would they break off from the dear Ol'Commander? What's he really up to?

Loved the modern vehicles in the dinosaur times, that was very cool. Just wondering, do they drive those through the gate? Do they ship the parts through then assemble them in Nova? so many questions. No real need nor time to really answer them.

The Commander is afraid you'll spill the beans Space Pirate lady. How does she have time to manage that hair in Terra Nova as a pirate? Why does the mineral they're farming for in Avatar escape me at this very moment.

The minors are making moonshine in the jungle? Seriously? Is it me or does the young lady look like she could be the daughter of Steve Carrell's baby mama from the Office? #justsaying

Ya, ok...so the Commander's son went "missing" a few years back? Should we start a pool that he's the leader of The Sixers? I really do prefer the term Space Pirates, it does seem so much cooler than Sixers.

Welcome to Terra Nova kid, I see you hugging your dad when you get back to base camp.

The Commander is tough, I get that. But every other security detail soilder is dressed up like they're playing in the NFL on a Sunday, shouldn't he have at least some sort of armor? Beside that big gun?

"Terra Nova Will Succeed" I'm not so sure of that.

I watched the first hour of this at Fan Expo and I absolutely hated it.  I've got major issues with this, as you could tell.  I want to like it, I do. But it's so damn cheesy and so very predictable that I'm not sure if I can stop watching. It's like a car crash that you just can't look away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter