Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Our Trip - Day Ten

Day ten didn't fade in, it started with a flash of the bedroom lights being flicked on in a hurry and with Katie saying, "Ant, get up, we gotta go."  I respond with the only thing I could, "No baby, the ship isn't here yet." I'd been awake for 2 seconds and that's all I had.  Very confused I start to get out of bed and start to get dressed.  During this time, Katie explains to me that Caro and Al's cab isn't here yet and she's going to drive them to the Airport at 4:30 in the morning.  Shorts and a tshirt later, I'm ready to go.  Sidenote, after not wearing pants of any kind for almost three weeks, that was one of the worst things about going back to work.  F#@% Pants I say.  Moving on.  I'm sitting on the front porch and there is a lot happening around me.  Just as we're about to unlock the Katie Kab, the hill lights up and here comes their cab, just 45 minutes late.  Safe travels, I gotta go back to bed.

So now.  Fade in Day Ten.

Some lovely coffee and a couple of digestive cookies to start up the second part of this day.  We quickly eat some breakfast and decide that another visit back to Chanai is in order.  Off we go.  We've got this travel thing down now.  Straight to the parking garage.  We take a different route into the shopping district where we pass some men looking into a large hole.  What's in the hole? Who's in the hole? Who's got the baby? What?

Love this picture of a car parking right in front of the no parking sign.  Ant the Bylaw Guy in Action.



A short walk and we're at the water.  A lovely site first thing in the morning.  A walk around the harbour and you see the vendors setting up their nut stands.  The cafes setting out the chairs and cushions.  They call out to you and ask you to sit for a coffee.  We walk around the harbour and I see a nice cafe with a great view of the entire bay. 








The rest of the group decide to go and walk out to a lighthouse.  It's here that I sit enjoying a lovely coffee, watching the people and I think about life.  Give me a tablet and a keyboard dock and I can sit here all day and type my thoughts away.  Browse the Internet and share my findings.  If someone could pay me to do that, that'd be perfect.  So calm, so much fun and such great coffee. 



The group returns and apparently I've been sitting there longer than I thought because we're talking about lunch.  We start making our way back and stop off at one of the harbour side cafes whose name escapes me right now.  More Greek dishes are ordered and it's here where I'm introduced to Tigania which is the greatest thing ever.  I'm not sure it's the bread bowl, or the tender meats or the amazing flavours.  But I'd fly back to Crete just to eat again.  I must mention that i just love drinking coke out of the glass bottles. 





Another great lunch wraps up with some more Raki and off we go to another museum. 





Today it's the Archaeological Museum of Chania.  A smally but a goody, it was fascinating to see the evolution in the tools and techniques of the things they were building and how quickly those advancements where made.








We take yet another way out of the shopping routes and slowly make our way back to the parking garage.  During the hours that we've been gone, there has been some serious moves being made with this hole.  A lot more men are at the top, men in dress shirts.  They've had to call in the bosses to look down the hole!

A quick drive back to the villa for a little chill out time, some kick up the feet time.  After some resting and some much needed showers, it was time to head back up the hill and get some more great food and some great live music.  It's Friday night so it's a special menu, it was determined that we needed to try everything.  So it was finally said.  "I'll have everything off the menu!"  The food came in and as hard as we tried, it once again didn't last long.  The music started and another fantastic night was had.





 


More goodbyes were said as we were losing two more early tomorrow morning, Sherry and Jenn were heading back home.  The first running of the Birthday Games was down to four and the arena was getting smaller.

Fade out day ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter