Saturday, December 18, 2010

A journey around IMDB...

When I'm on the couch I like to pick up the Ipad and browse around the IMDB app starting with something I'm watching and just bounce around learning who was in what. Then it turns into this giant tangled six degrees of seperation type thing.  It's actually quite fun and you can learn that all sorts of people have been in things that a) You didn't know or b) You totally forgot. 

So tonight, I was watching Home Alone so that's where I'll begin tonight's journey.

Home Alone and the sister Linnie looked familiar to me and off we go. The actress is, Angela Goethals who was in an episode of Six Feet Under which also had her mom from Home Alone Catherine O'Hara in it for a few episodes. O'Hara was also in Curb Your Enthusiasm, holy crap, look at that Blossom aka Mayim Bialik was in it as well, didn't know that. Her character was Jodi Funkhouser? Wow, nice. Double holy crap, she went on from Blossom to The John Larroquette Show? I used to love that show! Wow, there was a lot of people on that show, didn't know Ryan Stiles was on it, ya, the guy from Whose Line is it Anyway and now Two and a Half Men in a very bad role. But what's this?  He played a clown on Who's The Boss in 1981? Whaaaaat? Betty White was in two episodes of Who's the Boss? Come on, this night is getting crazier by the minute. Thanks IMDB!  At first I was shocked to see that Leslie Nielson was in it for a few episodes, but then I saw the episode titles and I remembered that he was one of many boyfriends for Mona. So let's see what Leslie Nielson has been in. Huh, bringing this back through Betty White for a moment he was in an episode of Golden Girls. Let's take a look and see who else was in that. Of course, spun off from Golden Girls was Empty Nest starring Richard Mulligan, that one I did know, but what I didn't know was that it was on for 7 SEASONS!
Damn! I really don't think it would last that long in todays tv world. Apparently that then spun off to Nurses in 1991. You don't see too many spinoffs on tv anymore. Weird. Starring in Nurses as Paco Ortiz, his second character named Paco in a few years, he first played a Paco on Night Court a few years before, holy stereotypes in the 80's. The actor Carlos Lacamara, but Ant, who the hell is that? Take a look at the picture and you know him. He's been in things like Persons Unknown,
Days of Our Lives and Desperate Housewives. He was also in Alf apparently and would you believe that out of the Tanners that only father Willie Tanner actor Max Wright is still getting acting jobs. I know shocking. He was in an episode of Mr. Belvedere, used to love that show. Why do I feel that some of these shows were on Friday nights? I better look that up. Ok, that's scary, it ran on Friday's from 85 - 89 where it got moved to, get this. Saturday nights for half a season. SATURDAY NIGHTS!?!? How do I remember when a show was on a Friday night when I was 11 years old??  I guess I knew even then that I'd have a lot of interest in this kinda thing.  This has been quite the night so far, I've learned a few interesting tidbits. Let's not stop,  let's keep it going. Actually, I'm thinking Empty Nest was also on Fridays at one point. I gotta look into that. Nope Saturday nights?? Again with these Saturday nights, I really need to look into historical tv schedules at this point. That'll be thrilling! Holy crap! Over 18 million people watched Empty Nest on average in its first season. Watching more tv then ever they say. HAH! The only thing you can watch on Saturdays now is Cops and bad TLC programming.  Let's get back to Belvedere. Sadly Mr B passed away a few years ago. Hmmm, the mom was in an episode of Castle last season, that's cool. Why young Wesley was in an episode of Burn Notice last year. Cool again. Oldest son Kevin hasn't acted in anything since 1993, but is writing, producing and directing a show called Shank! this year. Never heard of it. What'd he do for the 17 years in between? Let's go back to Wesley because he was in Wonder Years for an episode and there has got to be some interesting people that were in the Wonder Years. I'd like to point out that The Wonder Years won 22 Golden Globes for 55 Nominations in 6 Seasons! Woah, Jeremy Davies aka Daniel Faraday from Lost was on The Wonder Years! Seth Green and Peter Billingsley. Ralphie F'in Parker! Screetch was on TWY! ROSS! Ross was on The Wonder Years, Why do I feel like Oprah on a favorite things episode?  And YOU get a role on The Wonder Years, and you get a role, and you get a ROOOOOOLE!!  But what else did Ross do in the 80's I wonder. Ok, turns out, not much. But he was in Blossom, woah, IMDB, I've circled back on myself. This must be a sign, you're right. WHO ELSE WAS IN BLOSSOM!! Older brother Anthony was on Prison Break for an episode, boring. He was in Dark Knight?!?!? This site continues to amaze me tonight, but let's look back into Blossom. You know who else was in Blossom for two episodes? Good thing you're still reading because I know you want to know! KITTY FOREMAN!! Ok, stranger than anyone than who was in Blossom was who directed 30 episodes of it. Get this, Bruce Banner himself, Bill Bixby! He directed stuff? Turns out he directed 34 things. Sledge Hammer! For 8 episodes, let's dig in. Star of Sledge Hammer! was David Rasche who recently was in Rubicon as James Wheeler.
The main boss in that was Truxton Spangler, who looked so familiar to me at the time, turns out he's hardly been in anything. But he did write the screenplays for both Original Sin and The Witches of Eastwick. Plus a few other things. That's interesting. Another holy crap moment, James Badge Dale star of Rubicon and The Pacific, was actually Chase on 24 in Season 3!

Here he is in Rubicon.

 






And here in 24:













I know, totally didn't see it when I saw Rubicon this year.  That's why I love IMDB surfing and I need to get some sleep from this crazy journey. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter