Thursday, December 16, 2010

SAG Award Nominations

So the other day we had the nominations for the Golden Globe Awards and today the 17th Screen Actors Guild Nominations came out.  There is all sorts of snub talk if you follow twitter; which I find amusing.  After looking at the Globes the other day I thought, "really??" a few times, but for the most part the list looked ok in my books.  Sure if you take Piper Peribo out of her category it makes sense, but from what I can gather 5 other actresses were snubbed in the category.  They can't nominate everyone, it really does take away from the nomination doesn't it? @ChrisBailey83 on Twitter said it best, "Like giving everyone a good job sticker." Totally.  There are those that deserved to be nominated and you know what, maybe they did.  But there are only FIVE spots per category, some of the categories are STACKED and there is no one not deserving of being nominated, so who do you pull you snub hater? Huh, who'd ya pull?  That's right, you couldn't because then personx would be deemed snubbed as well.  But at the end of my rant, what's Hollywood without a little drama. 

Alrighty, let's look at the nominations.

Television

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries

John Goodman, You Don’t Know Jack
Al Pacino, You Don’t Know Jack
Dennis Quaid, The Special Relationship
Edgar Ramirez, Carlos
Patrick Stewart, MacBeth

Al won at the Emmys last year, so I'm going to give it too him again.  I've always liked Goodman, but I've always liked Pacino more.  Well, 80's and 90's Pacino, not so much the 00's, you can lump DeNiro in there as well. 
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries

Claire Danes, Temple Grandin
Catherine O’Hara, Temple Grandin
Julia Ormond, Temple Grandin
Winona Ryder, When Love is Not Enough: The Lois Wilson Story
Susan Sarandon, You Don’t Know Jack

Falls into the same thing as Al, they couldn't rave enough about Temple Grandin at the Emmys last year. So I've got to assume that the Guild will recognize this performance again.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series

Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Hugh Laurie, House

Hall won it last year but last year was a much better season of Dexter, but I still gotta go Hall. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series

Glenn Close, Damages
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: SVU
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

Does Hargitay have something on the Guild?  She's been nominated 5 out of the last 7 years, no Sagel here? Really? Now that's a snub.  I will admit, that I never got into Mad Men, really wasn't my thing, but I heard Moss was fantastical this year.  Going with her.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Steve Carell, The Office
Chris Colfer, Glee
Ed O’Neill, Modern Family

Ummm, my list appears to be missing the outstanding Jim Parsons.  WTF!! As I noted in my rundown of the Globes, if I can't give it to Parsons I gotta give it to Baldwin.  30 Rock wouldn't last too long without Baldwin.
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series

Edie Falco, Nurse Betty
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Jane Lynch, Glee
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Betty White, Hot in Cleveland

Aren't we getting a little crazy with all the Betty White love the last couple of years.  Hot in Cleveland? Come on.  I would watch Lynch in anything. 
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

Boardwalk Empire
The Closer
Dexter
The Good Wife
Mad Men

No Walking Dead? Huh. Ok.  Way to be lame Guild, you'd think if you had the word Guild in your association you'd be kinda cool and love Zombies, but hey, whatever.  I have to think the Guild will be loving the Scorsese involved Empire and that's why I'm picking it.  They have loved on Mad Men a lot in the past so that's probably a real safe bet if you're into that kinda thing.
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

30 Rock
Glee
Hot in Cleveland
Modern Family
The Office

I know I ranted on snubs to open this post, but this category is just stupid.  30 Rock, comedic genius, I get it.  Glee, not really having a consistent year if you ask me and I'm not sure if I would even call it a comedy.   Hot in Cleveland? Whaaaat? The Office, having a BRUTAL year.  No Big Bang?  No Raising Hope? No Cougar Town? No Community? Weeds was back into the funny stuff this year, what about that?  This category frankly offends me as a TV lover. 
Movies

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Robert Duvall, Get Low
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Colin Firth, The King’s Speech
James Franco, 127 Hours

I picked Franco for the Globes, but rightly so Bridges was nominated here.  A toss up for me.
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

Annette Bening, The Kids are All Right
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter’s Bone
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Hilary Swank, Conviction

@Flintz on Twitter tells me that Rabbit Hole isn't all that it's cracked up to be, so I'm making this pick because of him and sticking with Bening.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Christian Bale, The Fighter
John Hawkes, Winter’s Bone
Jeremy Renner, The Town
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids are All Right
Geoffrey Rush, The King’s Speech

I hear that Bale in The Fighter might be his best performance yet, but I really like Renner in anything. I'm so torn! 
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams, The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter, The King’s Speech
Mila Kunis, Black Swan
Melissa Leo, The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit

I really need to see these movies to make this pick.  The critics say that Kunis is great in Swan and I love Carter in most things she's in.  Again a tough one.
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

Black Swan
The Fighter
The Kids are All Right
The King’s Speech
The Social Network

I've only watched The Social Network and I loved it, made me think about just how big Facebook is and how inter-woven it is into our everyday lives.  Hey, Facebook me, I'll catch you on Facebook.  Then when you start thinking about 500 million people are on it.  That stat just freaks me out when you think about how many people are actually on the Internet and how many of those are on Facebook.  As of 2009 there was 1.7 Billion people on the planet are on the Internet.  So basically 1 out of every 3 people on the Internet are checking their Facebook.  That's NUTS!  Another crazy stat, Flickr hosted 4 billion photos as of October 2009.  2.5 Billion Photos get uploaded onto Facebook a MONTH!  That's 30 Billion a year.  Sorry to go on about this, but my god, Facebook has taken over the planet.  No wonder Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire on the planet.  He's worth more then Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.  In a matter of years he's gathered that much wealth.  In fact Facebooks revenue might cross the 2 billion dollar mark this year.  I've totally side tracked here.  Bottom line on this category, I just don't know.  All good picks, but it does appear to be missing something.  A little movie called Inception?  But again, who do you pull? ;)

SAG Honors for Stunt Ensembles

Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

Green Zone
Inception
Robin Hood

Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Television Series

Burn Notice
CSI: NY
Dexter
Southland
True Blood

?? I'll go with Burn Notice, a show about spies has to have stunts, right?

1 comment:

  1. Because the complaint against Mariska. She never won a SAG. And she's a fantastic actress. Kira Sedgwick is also always displayed and you will not even talk. Kira is not better than Mariska. Ugly people are spiteful.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter