Monday, March 21, 2011

Thoughts on this Weekends Wizard World Toronto Comic Con



So this past weekend after a long month of work so far, was the Wizard World Comic Con was finally here. I'd been looking forward to the show, it's been a long month, this was kind of a treat for me.  Last year was the first year of the show here in Toronto for Wizard, so I gave it major slack after being quite disappointed with the first one.  I thought to myself, it's the second year, putting on Cons is what these guys do, this year will be better.  To me...it wasn't...it was worse.

First off, I'm a comics guy, I'm not a wrestler guy anymore, I dug that like boys do when they are 12, but I've moved on.  Weirdly, being a geek, I'm not a huge "sci fi" fan, but I get the draw.  My point being, I go to these shows for comics, to go to comics panels and to get great deals so I can add to my rapidly growing collection.  I get that Comic "culture" and "geek culture" are both very hot right now, I get that.  I do.  I know they are trying to get as many people in the door to check out all these neat things.  I do.  Shows like San Diego and C2E2 have really changed Comic Cons, for the good.  But really, at the end of the day, it's still a Comic Con.

That's where I've got issue with this weekend's event.  I know this year's event was scheduled the day after last years event so they had the whole year to plan it.  But did they plan it over a weekend?  Sadly, this event was scheduled on the same weekend as the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo, C2E2.  That event is massive.  One of the biggest in America.  So of course major comic companies are going to send everything they've got to that show over the Wizard Show in Toronto.  First error in my opinion, once they found out C2E2 was the same weekend.  Move the show.  Try to bring in big talent and companies, you've got to sell this show or people will stop going to this one and just wait until August.  There wasn't a Marvel or a DC booth at this weekend's show.  How can the two biggest companies in comics not be at this show? 

Speaking of planning, I thought the guest line-up was quite under-whelming and bringing Dustin Diamond is almost laughable.  From what I can tell, there was maybe 8 Comic Shop Vendors at this show.  Wouldn't you want to get more vendors there trying to sell more product to try and get more people in to comics?  I've heard the prices for the vendor tables is quite high.  Wizard needs to take a hit on the show for a year or two and try to get more people in the door.  Does a quarter of the floor need to be sectioned off for gaming?  I'm a board gamer, but I'm not spending 60 bucks to go to this show and play some board games and I haven't played Magic since I was in high school.   I've never gone to a show looking for an artists work, the thought has never occurred to me, but after reading peoples comments last night.  I might start looking at that.  Might look good in the media room.  But do the artists really need to be almost half the show floor?  I walked around them and saw some great stuff, but I just kept on walking.

Speaking of walking, I did go to ONE panel this year.  I don't think they even had panels last year.  But last years show was rushed, so I don't hold that against them.  This year I saw  The Walking Dead.  I had to go to something to justify my 60 dollar ticket for the weekend.  The panel was an appearance for Chandler Riggs who plays Carl on the television series.  A few questions about what it's like on set and schooling and stuff.  Typical type questions for an 12 year old.  But he can't bring any real insight to the series.  What are they thinking for season two.  They did show a twenty minute behind the scenes, that I can't help feel was from AMC's website since it said it was premiering Halloween.  Ya, last year.  Way to bring the fans something.  Disappointing.  Sigh.

The rest of the panels were bizarre.  Secrets of Professional Wrestling was the big panel to start the show? Seriously?  A Dustin Diamond Q and A? Really?  I didn't go on Saturday, I had to work :( But the Benz and Williams panels would have been interesting, but not really comic related.  But there was at least 3 comic related panels on Saturday and two on the Sunday.  Sigh.

I went to the show on Friday and Sunday.  I arrived on Friday at 4:30 and was met with no line.  That's great for getting in, but it's not looking good for the show.  Sadly, we were out of the show before 6.  We must have walked around 3 or 4 times by then.  Looked at the "celebs", checked out the vendors and picked up a couple of things that we were looking for.  Sadly, we might have spent more money if all the vendors were actually there on the Friday.  I did read about someone saying, about if you only went for the Friday and all you had was a Friday pass.  Well, that would suck.  Back home before 7.  Went back with a few more people on the Sunday and we got there around 11:30 and were on our way to Silver Snail by 2:25 and that's with me attending a panel that lasted 45 minutes.  I read on Facebook that people were there for all three days?  How? Doing what?  I spent 60 bucks on my ticket and I spent 4 hours in the show and that felt one hour to long.

I don't want to compare this to the other big show in town.  But if I have to choose overcrowding with lots to do and empty and nothing for this comics guy to do.  I'll take the over crowding.  Or I'll have to start driving to the other shows in the States.  That would just be sad.

I knew I was in trouble when I walked in the door and I was greeted by the truck from Halo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter