Sunday, September 25, 2011

Thoughts from the Media Room - Person of Interest


Sure Big Bang Theory was great to have back, but Person of Interest was going to be my highlight of the night. The test screenings rated so high for this one, that CBS decided to move CSI to Wednesday nights. This one is from the mind of JJ Abrams and you may remember him from a small show I more than slightly obsessed over, Lost. So there was no doubt that I'd be all over this one.

Premise:
Mr. Finch (Michael Emerson), a mysterious billionaire, has developed a computer program that predicts the identity of people connected to violent crimes that will take place in the future. However, the program has its limitations: for example, it cannot predict whether the person will be a victim, perpetrator, or witness, nor can it predict when or where the crime will take place. Unable to stop the crimes on his own, Finch hires John Reese (Jim Caviezel), a former CIA field officer who is presumed dead, to help stop the crimes from taking place.

I loved this one, Caviezel always plays tormented so well and is a good fit to play a messed up former military man. He was intense when the action started. My only real issue with him was that he didn't question what Finch was telling him. Finch lays it all on the line and tells him what his little machine can do and Reese buys right in. He doesn't really start to question what the machine can do until quite a ways through the episode once he already was the man for Finch.

I especially loved how they told us how it was going to end and I still didn't see it ending like that. It was a great twist, Abrams has always been excellent at ending an episode, one of the best really.

I'll be back for as long as this one is on the air. Strange the camera kept focusing on Mr. Finchs awful limp, what did he really lose that day in 2001? I'm hoping there will be some on-going mysteries that we have to solve during the show or the show might lose some buzz.

I wanted to keep this one brief because I didn't really want to spoil anything. I hope you can catch this one on demand if you've got a chance. It's one of the better new Fall shows this Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter