Monday, September 26, 2011

Thoughts from the Media Room: The X Factor

While The X-Factor was on last week, I wanted to collect my thoughts on it.


Premise:
The show is primarily concerned with identifying singing talent, though appearance, personality, stage presence and dance routines are also an important element of many performances. Each judge is assigned one of four categories—either girls between 12 and 30, boys between 12 and 30, individuals over 30, or groups (some of which may be formed from rejected soloists after the audition process).[4] Through the live shows, the judges act as mentors to their category, helping to decide song choices, styling and staging, while judging contestants from other categories. The winner of the competition is awarded a recording contract with Syco Music in association with Sony Music Entertainment which would include cash payments totalling $5 million.

First off, if you like American Idol you should like this, if you don't like Idol then I don't see you liking this. Factor doesn't bring anything new to the table, it takes the mentoring that I really enjoyed from The Voice and merges it in with Idol. The X-Factor in the UK might have had that, I don't know. I love the mentoring because then it puts some more pressure on the judges, it gives them something to do and it gives them a stake in the competition. They'll fight a little more to have their person/group move on.

Speaking of the judges, they actually have something to say and that something is usually helpful. As much as I liked the talent that was on Idol last season, about the halfway mark of the season I just lost interest in the judges. Sure they were new and funny during the auditions, but when it came down to actually providing some helpful criticisms, tips to mixing things up or some actual, they just weren't there. Steven Tyler while his little outbursts and random sentences were funny, he just became another character on the show. Randy? What happened to you? It became a drinking game every time he said "In It To Win It" or "Dawg". Enough about the other judges, that's a different show. I didn't know much about LA Reid going in, but I liked what he had to say and I thought what he said to say was helpful and brought something to the show. I liked how he reminded us what he gave up to be a part of this show. He's taking somewhat of a risk to do this. I'm sure if it doesn't work out he'll get another job right after the show wraps up. Not a big risk, but a risk none the less. I thought I'd find Nicole annoying and another Jennifer Lopez, but I was pleasantly surprised of what she brought to the show. Paula, what can you say about Paula that hasn't already been said? I did think her reaction to the guy who dropped his pants was a bit dramatic and over the top. But other than that, glad to her craziness back on tv.

To the man who has risked more than any other to get this thing on the air, Simon. Say what you will about Simon, he tells the truth. Sure he's mean, but he tells you what you need to hear. If you're awful and people have lied to you and told you you're great and try an audition. He'll tell you you're awful and that this isn't for you. They sometimes need to hear that and sometimes harsh is the only way you'll listen. Sure, some of it is for tv and some of it has been created by the producers for some great television. But isn't that part of the reason we watch?

The host, as I'm typing this I can't even remember his name and that's a good thing. The host of that other singing show sometimes gets in the way, so I'm glad this guy is taking a backseat for the "real" stars of the show.

I enjoy Idol, so I'm all over this one. 4 Hours a week seems a bit much, thankfully with the pvr/dvr you can rip through this thing in about 40 minutes. How much is Simon getting paid where there has to be a commercial every 6 or 7 minutes? I like the fact they open it up to all ages and groups. I'm not a pop music guy so I hope this opens up the type of music that we'll see this season.

What did you think of the first two episodes of The X-Factor?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter